Jeff has over thirty years’ experience as a business lawyer and commercial litigator. Prior to founding the Hornstein Law Office in 2009, he enjoyed a successful career at two prominent Chicago law firms and as an in-house corporate law and litigation attorney.
A few career highlights:
Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), Chief Attorney, Corporate Law and Litigation
- Took over jury breach of contract case six weeks before trial and led trial team to successful “no liability” verdict.
- Settled construction case for less than retainage.
- Settled delay claim in construction case for 6% of demand.
Holleb & Coff, Partner & Co-Chair of Litigation Department
1985 – 1999
- Developed and implemented strategy in interest rate swap breach of contract case that won and collected a $6.2 million jury verdict though client thought its claim was $2.3 million.
- Obtained a $1.6 million judgment in case of breach of guaranty of commercial debt although client thought its claim was $800,000. Then collected $1.1 million from bankrupt defendants.
Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP, Associate
International Law Firm; merged with Denton Wilde Sapte in 2010 to form SNR Denton.
- Worked at senior associate level on a wide variety of commercial disputes.
Jeff received his J.D. at Northwestern University School of Law. He was a recipient of the John Henry Wigmore (full tuition) Scholarship, graduated in the top 10% of his class and was on the Dean’s List.
He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Minnesota, where he majored in International Relations and Psychology.
Jeff also earned a Master of Arts in Teaching at National Louis University where he majored in teaching High School Mathematics.
Jeff is also a mediator certified by the DePaul University School of Law.